Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Children's Day Special

This children’s day I went to a special place. The Social Responsibility Forum (SRF) of our institute had organised a function for children in an orphanage run by a NGO called ‘SUPPORT’. I went there hoping to be of some help in organising and conducting the event. As it turned out, the number of volunteers was far more than what was required. I guess the students were all excited about contributing something to the society. As you know, too many cooks spoil the broth. So I decided to stay on the sidelines and instead just looked around the place and observed things. I also talked to a few kids. This was my first time in an orphanage and I was just getting a feel of things.

I am not a great observer of things (even though I am a finance major!!! ) but I observed a few things. Most kids were going through a lot of suffering and hardship before coming to that place. The place that they are living right now is not really that good. A bit too cramped for space. What we did for the kids that day- conducting games, movie, snacks, etc- was not much. But the kids were really thankful for what they got. Of course they would’ve been told to behave in such a way by the NGO. But in the eyes of the children I could see real gratitude. When the kids were served snacks, all of them closed their eyes and prayed before eating. Each and every single kid prayed sincerely and loudly. Even in such hunger and at such a young age, many of the kids kept offering us the snacks as they saw that we were not eating anything. It was really touching. The kids were extremely disciplined. All this makes one want to go to the place again and again and give something to the kids.

In the eyes of the kids I saw so many bright young minds. Potential waiting to get unlocked. These are smart kids, these are the country’s future. These are good times for the country’s economy. If only these kids are shaped properly and given a chance, they will definitely grab the opportunity. I hope that all the kids I saw that day go on to work for an Infosys, a Maruti, a HDFC bank, or do MBA from a NMIMS or maybe start some entrepreneurship some day. Believe me, all these kids are capable of doing this. They are smart, hard working and have the fire in their belly.

I am convinced that if I do not do substantial contributions to such efforts as what is being done by SUPPORT, then my career and my life is a waste. It felt good to see so many volunteers that day. Especially the kids from MBA Tech. Younger minds are more easily impressionable. This kind of an experience should have served the 17 something students of the MBA tech course well.

We keep hearing about the economic growth of our country. What’s more important is inclusive growth. I hope citizens of this country keep this in mind. Our country is supposed to be full of ‘highly intellectual’ and intelligent men and women. If that is the case then we must realise that distribution of wealth, inclusive growth and social justice are more important than 10% GDP growth, FII and trillion dollar forex reserves. Let us all play our role in making India a great nation and not just a great economy. Let us all give these kids a shot at life.

1 comment:

Roshan Varghese said...

kanna :) bang on .. Inclusive growth is the need of the times.many times a fancy term for economists and panelists in differnt fora.. but mebbe if u peek into yourself it could actually begin with you . If u feel that social consciousness pricking you make it a point to retain that spark and to facilitate that opportunity to one of these unfortunate lives. If the will remains opportuniy for that will definitely come knocking.