Tuesday, May 30, 2006

I will not forget...those amazing days



I was going thru orkut and saw a few testimonials written to me and by me. Just stirred a few old memories and I thought of writing something about it…

Engineering days were truly amazing. Our college- RMK engineering college- had a lot of stupid rules and was very strict. We really resented that when we were students. In fact we used to call it ‘the jail’ But after coming out of it we realised that there can be nothing like those days again in our lives…Despite all the rules and all, we did enjoy! I was in the hostel for the first 2 years. By nature I am shy and reserved. So I hardly interacted with anyone in the first few months. It took me 6 months to even become friends with my room mate, Chaitanya. It was Prasanna who helped bring me out of my shell. Had a good time with the ‘Tamil gang’ in the hostel… Cant forget those countless mokkai sessions we had before and after elections, cricket matches and during weekends and study holidays…Then there was the Hostel day skit in which I participated. It was deemed so vulgar that they stopped it midway through the show :).

I will not forget the long discussions with Srikanth that went long into the night. I will not forget the fights I had with Prasanna everyday we were room mates. Its truly amazing how you can fight with someone for so long and so much and you get irritated by that person so much, but still, at the end of the day you count him as one of your best friends…

I will not forget the boring long days during study hols when the only thing we all looked forward to was breakfast, lunch and dinner. I can assure that anyone who has passed out of RMK will never forget the food there. Truly mouth watering ..mmm… The chicken briyani, Dosai, Parota, sweets and much much more..

Then I moved out in the 3rd year. I started interacting with the day scholars- Ananth, Vicky, GK, and others.. We had lots of fun especially in the last year when we hardly attended classes. Had the first taste of alcohol with these guys..Three of us (Prasanna, Vicky and I) started drinking on the same day, and one of them is a hopeless drunkard now :)

I will not forget the chicken briyani in Vicky’s house. Nor will I forget those Dec 31st nights in the last 3 yrs of engg… I will not forget those truly thrilling rides sitting behind Vicky in his bike. Ananth and GK fighting was always fun for all of us. Jothi’s powers with girls remained a mystery to all of us till the end. So was Ananth’s lack of powers with girls despite his looks…Vicky trying hard to convince Sumanth to join us for a dinner or party became a regular affair.

Engineering ended, and slowly everyone departed to where life took them. Prasanna to Hyderabad, Ananth and Jothi to UK, Sumanth also went to Hyderabad and so did Chaitu, Rakesh and so many others. After a few months realisation came that ‘those days’ are over. Perhaps the best days of our lives were behind us. We still keep meeting each other occasionally. I know those days will not come back and things will not be the same again. But I want to settle down in a place where we all can meet each other regularly, have a weekend together every month and share our happy and sad moments together. I know that will keep me happy. It’s the kind of happiness that money can’t buy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

really a nice post.
..can easily relate to ur post though I myself is not an engineer...
however really skeptical about carying the same kind of feeling about mba days. most people are too professional and politically correct here.

Unknown said...

Ya. I too realised that a few days into the course.Its not about MBA though.I think it would ve been the same even if we were in M Tech or M Com or whatever.Nothing can match your undergraduate days.

Anonymous said...

Cool post. Keep going