Thursday, May 04, 2006

MBA Myths?

I recently got this forward from a batchmte here. Its supposedly written by a MBA student, I dont know who or from which institute.But I can tell you from my own experience that its very close to the truth.

Yesterday Term 2 ended. I am now roughly 32 per cent of an MBA. As I evaluate myself on the huge costs (opportunity and real) that I have incured over the past 6 months, I ponder on the learnings (Cudn't help it fellow ManDevIans... WAC ka bhoot utara nahi hai!!!).

1) MBA is about making shit look like hot shit.
2) The faster you understand and implement point 1 above the higher will your Grade Point Average (GPA) and hence CGPA be, and the less expectations will you have, and consequently your satisfaction will be maximised.
3) Recruiters dont give a damn to how many Balance Sheets you balanced, how many models you optimised, what strategy you proposed (for the googled project you did for an MNC which you dint even visit once), what is your understanding of human resource mgmt, what is the positioning of the crap that FMCG companies generate, your exposition on world economics,.... and I could go on.
4) B Schools pressure and academic rigour are myths.
5) People will give their left ball/boob for an extra grade and a fellow batchmate.
6) Point number five is very valid in the corporate world too.
7) Job Job Job... is the light at the end of this MBA tunnel; at least in India.
8) Management is about bullshitting with elan and quoting esoteric gurus (with keywords thrown in for effect) to fool others. Finance guys fool investors, Marketing guys fool customers, HR guys fool employees, Operations and Systems guys join the fun (and the chaos and end up fooling each other)

So in the end its a fools game. I dunno why companies come in hordes and recruit MBAs in such large numbers?? I dunno.. seriously.. hope I am proved wrong!!!


I must tell you, its a very valid question this person is asking in the end.I myself was stumped by a question asked by a friend of mine a few months ago when he was preparing for his XLRI interview.He asked, " Tell me what have you really gained from these 8 months into your MBA?" And I was like..really clueless!

Another of my batchmates offered an answer to the question in the article. He said,

"why companies come in hordes and recruit MBAs in such large numbers is : companies also wanna fool all its stakeholder,shareholders and match the fleecing capability of it's competitors in the marketplace, esp. during the carzy times as we r witnessing now.hence the mad scramble for MBAs."

4 comments:

JC said...

hehe, I like what I read :D

Anck su Namun said...

tagging is a blog concept. When you mean to tag some one on a post, the person will have to take up the same post and then tag somebody else.
So when i have taken up some answers to questions (or any other activity) and i tag you, you take up those questions and answer them in your post, then tag some one else. Also acknowledge that you have taken it up by commenting in my blog. simple :-)

Anonymous said...

"I dont know who or from which institute.But I can tell you from my own experience that its very close to the truth.

Yesterday Term 2 ended. I am now roughly 32 per cent of an MBA. As I evaluate myself on the huge costs (opportunity and real) that I have incured over the past 6 months, I ponder on the learnings (Cudn't help it fellow ManDevIans..."

that dude is from MDI... they call themselves ManDevIans :)

The Wacked One said...

hillarious dude.... great post....